Old February 10th 06, 12:01 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Default C5 Belt Squeak

I did.. I had all kinds of belt problems. First it would slip. So the car
got a manual tensioner. Then the pulleys weren't exactly alligned.. it
would eat the belt.. started replacing the pulleys.. basically one at a time
because the tensioner was right next to one of the Procharger idlers..
ordered one, and it was a different size.. ran without that for a while then
ordered the other idler for the other side of the Procharger. Just felt
like they should match in size. The new pulley was wider than the plate on
the Procharger where the one attaches.. putting the bolts which hold it to
the blower under neath the pulley. (So how do you tighten that???)
Scratched my head.. scratched my ass.. finally put a socket in my Dewalt
screw gun and just zipped it on at high speed. Brilliant engineering.
Still had shredding.. found some rust on the water pump (sorry excuse for a)
pulley. Replaced that. Then realized that I had the wrong size belt which
was also routed wrong. I did that when the new wider dia idler came in and
I ran with only one idler on the blower. Procharger could have been more
forthcoming with information...maybe even a web page for all of us that had
the older smaller idlers. Anyway..blah blah blah.. the belt is fine now..
but because of the Kaytech manual tensioner and the 30 degree weather around
here.. I think I fried the bearings in the blower so that is going in to
Procharger for a rebuild. When I had it off one of the times I felt oil in
the air intake side.. thought I was nuts.. but apparently not. Oil level is
critical to maintain in these things. I would be nice if it was tied into
the car oil but I can see a whole lot more trouble that way with
connections/contamination/etc. The procharger oil isn't just regular
10-30w. Having said all of this, I would still definately do it all over
again. The car is fast and I've learned a lot.

-Stan