Old September 7th 14, 02:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
MoPar Man

Default Low-speed suspension noises? (300m)

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:

> > Personally, I'd get the smaller bushing. It will take longer to
> > develop play because of a tighter fit. Will probably be half the
> > price.

> Non-PHP sway bar is 1", PHP sway bar is 1 1/16". Both bushings are
> same price at NAPA (and everywhere else, IIRC). I bought the PHP
> ones.

So what I've done regarding the front sway bar bushing - I get more life
out of them by doing this:

When you look at them from the side, they look like a big, fat letter C,
with almost no gap on the righthand side. I cut the gap bigger using a
band saw, then I take a piece of hard pastic that's about 1/16" thick
and cut it so it matches the size of the bottom of the bushing (about 2"
x 3"). I use that as a spacer and place it under the bushing when I
re-install it. The extra height caused by the plastic spacer means that
as you tighten down on the metal bushing retainer, the retainer will
squeeze the bushing down a little more than it ordinarily would, and the
wider gap that I cut into the bushing allows it to close down tighter
against the sway bar.