Old August 3rd 12, 10:23 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
TonyB

Default Replacing fuses

"GT" wrote in message
b.com...

I tried to use a air compressor to check my tyres and blew the front
cigarette lighter fuse after about 30 seconds, but the cigarette socket in
the boot is 15a and coped just fine. I therefore presume the compressor
draws 11a to 12a.

What are the implications of replacing the 10a fuse for my front cigarette
lighter with a 15a or 20a fuse? Am I likely to melt wiring? Melt a central
fuse somewhere?

Ta,
GT

You might melt the wiring. I did this on a Discovery by putting 100 watt
bulbs in the headlamps.
I've often done it in the past and it's ironic that the only car that can't
take off road bulbs is an off road
car.

The cigarette lighter sockets themselves are usually rated at 15 amps and I
have successfully used one
at that rate for the electric camping kettle on my boat. However, the wiring
does need to be up to the job and the only
way to tell is to measure the diameter of the core. Even then it's probably
not an exact science.

TonyB