Old February 11th 05, 05:35 PM
John Ings

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 17:07:07 GMT, "Elle Navorski"
> wrote:

>People can google for more info on whether going green pays for
>manufacturers (and has been cheap or not for consumers) since the 1960s or
>so.

Well I'll tell you what grates on me! Suppose when I was still driving
my 1987 CRX in Ontario I took it in for a check by the pollution
police and it failed the test by 20%. Suppose further that right
behind me there was a year-old SUV that passed its test with 20% to
spare. Who's polluting the air more, me or him?

The answer is that he is! His damn SUV has a lower percentage but
twice the volume of pollutants because his engine is three times as
big. But I'm the one who has to spend all the money on getting my car
up to standard!

If manufacturers really wanted to go green they wouldn't be ducking
through that legal loophole that classifies those bloody great things
as trucks.