Old August 3rd 11, 11:57 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mario Petrinovic

Default Computer for iRacing

Tony R:
>Mario Petrinovic:
>> I would like first class computer for iRacing (I buy computer every 3
>> years, but it must be first class).
>> Anybody knows which graphic card (Nvidia or Ati) and which processor. Is
>> 4 MB of memory enough. Any other issue?
>> For example, it'll be top graphic card. I'll prefer a single card. I
>> heard that GTX 590 overheat. Anybody knows is this so?
>> Any issues with SSD?
>> Also I would like top processor.
>> It'll be for one HDTV, but later possibly to update with another two
>> HDTVs.
>> Of course, regarding price, I expect to pay high price, but my second
>> name isn't Rockfeller, so, if something is 2% better, but 50% more
>> expensive, well, I am not in such a high class, : ).
>> Thanks

> Having used both ATI and nVidia I am very happy with an ATI 6970 running
> eyefinity and 3 screens which has proven more reliable than my previous
> GTX285 wth a TH2Go.
>
> Processor wise I use an Intel i7 920. I get good results with iRacing with
> this combo running three screens.
>
> Won't HDTVs possibly induce some lag? Not sure these days.
>
> Using a 64 bit OS and 6Gb RAM allows for replays to be saved in entirety
> though I think there is a spooling option now so this may not be an
> advatntage.

Thanks Tony.
Well, I am used to Nvidia, never used ATI before, I hope they look
the same on screen.
I need at least 100 fps on three screens, I think I'll go for two
cards (ATI 6950, or GTX 560) with possible addition of another one, if I
decide to go 3 HDTVs.
Regarding procesor. I'll go for the best, i7 2600. I'll go for 2x4GB
of RAM, and 120GB SSD. Right now I have 416 GB free on my, IIRC, 500GB disk
(says 465GB in Windows), so this should be enough.
Regarding lag, I don't know if you know, but some kind of lag
menagement is built in iRacing. This is "cockpitLookDeadZone" in app.ini
file, and the default is 0.050000. Well, I am all over the place with this
lag, but I managed to determine "the right" lag for my system, and it isn't
actually far away from iRacing's default. It is 0.062000.
Regarding all this, too bad that I have to find everything by
myself. Why don't somebody inform people a bit. This way or that way, yes, I
researched all this, and yes, I FOUND the answers I was looking for. Without
anybody's help. Regarding everybody else, well I can say that, who didn't
look for answers, well, he didn't find them.

Thanks again, : )
Mario