Old November 4th 09, 05:13 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.rail.americas
Clark F Morris

Default Buffet to buy a railroad.

On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 20:08:43 -0800, Scott in SoCal
> wrote:

>Last time on rec.autos.driving, Brent
> said:
>

>>http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Buffet...sset=&cc ode=
>>
>>"NEW YORK (AP) -- The biggest name in investing is making what he calls
>>an "all-in wager" on the U.S. economy -- $34 billion to own a railroad
>>that hauls everything from corn to cars across the country.
>>
>>The acquisition of Burlington Northern Santa Fe, the nation's
>>second-largest railroad, would be the biggest ever for Warren Buffett's
>>Berkshire Hathaway investment company."

>Mr. Buffet is clearly a man of vision. This is by far the largest
>acquisition he has made in his long and profitable career. And, since
>he only invests for the long term, he must be extremely certain of the
>future profitability of the BNSF.
>
>Perhaps he sees, as I do, that we as a nation will never be able to
>build our way out of road congestion, and that rising fuel prices will
>force a pendulum swing back toward rail transport for long-haul
>shipments.
>
>Whatever it is that has attracted his interest, I certainly place a
>lot more faith in the vision and judgment of Warren Buffet than I do
>in rail-haters like Jack and George. It will be ever-so-sweet to see
>these fools proven wrong once and for all.

Since BNSF is not a passenger railroad and George Conklin has many
times stated that freight rail makes sense and should be supported,
not encumbered with passenger requirements, I don't see George being
proved wrong by Buffet benefiting from the BNSF acquisition.