Old October 2nd 04, 10:14 PM
mojo

Default e34 530 thermostat

Hi

I'm not a mechanice but...

i've done this job before on nearly every car i've ever had. Just
tried replacing a thermostat to my 1989 530. I bought the new unit
from GSF but it's made in Brazil. water heats up and overflows from
the expansion tank, steam hisses out from the bleeder bolt but no
circulation, nothing hot from the heater and a temperature needle that
stays well and truly in the blue. Took the thermostat back out and
turned it around (was no thermostat in when i bought it) and still no
joy. took out it and tried it 'the right' way (double checked with a
parts schematic at http://rust.mine.nu/bmw/carselect.do) but this time
tried to position it differently to the first time. Still no joy.

2 questions, then:

how likely is it that it's a dud or even wrong part?

how likely is it that i'm doing something well wrong.

by the way, i now need a new thermostat housing cos the damned thing
got a crack in it when i was getting myself all the way back to square
one!

sorry for going on.

tia

mojo