Old November 7th 05, 09:58 PM
Dana H. Myers

Default Clutch Chirp

Prometheus7 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a 2002 Miata, 35,000 miles. There's a constant chirp when my clutch
> is all the way let out (my foot off it). If I push in just barely, not
> enough to really disengage anything, it stops. The chirp occurs whether I'm
> in or out gear. I can hear it when I pass by a building and hear the echo
> back to me. Is this just an adjustment? Something I can do (a novice)?

I've got an '02 Miata SE, too, 32k miles. I'm getting a clutch chirp,
but it's only in 2nd gear and only when I really quickly shift from first
to second gear while accelerating rapidly, like 3/4 to full throttle. It's
odd that it's coming from the clutch because it really seems to come from the
rear of the car, but it's only when I'm letting the clutch out so it must
be some kind of clutch chirp.

Lenny suggests a lubrication point, but that hasn't helped. The chirp
got worse, by quite a bit, after I installed a Sebring-type supercharger
kit at 13k miles.

It's really quite bewildering.

Dana