Old August 11th 16, 03:07 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default 2013 Hyundai Sonata - Caster at low end of Spec Range

Bill Vanek wrote: "On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 18:18:34 -0700 (PDT),
"Lots of cross camber in front - could make it pull to the left, and
rear toe is out of spec. It's not much, but will contribute to tire
wear. "

Yeah, didn't think about that front camber! It's 'in spec', but
cross camber is greater than half a degree.

As far as rear toe goes: The way it is now is countering
*some* of the left pull due to slightly less positive left
caster and significantly less negative left front camber.
That's probably why the alignment tech himself told me
he "wouldn't touch it".

Here's the issue: Both Hyundai dealers say there's nothing
that can be done about that camber. The "camber kit" available
early on in this run of Sonata is no longer available, so they say,
and I should just "live with it".

I don't believe them!

"If the car simply feels a little "unsure" as far as straight lines go,
try fiddling with the tire pressure. Try an increase, try a decrease.
It can sometimes make a substantial difference. My experience"
that the recommended pressure is almost always the best. "

Unsure?? LOL It is definitely a two-hand car, at 30 or 60mph.

We seem to agree on tire pressures. Hyundai's recommended
pressure is 33psi cold, all around. I keep it 35psi, as it firms up
the ride and handling a bit.

Vanek: This car is very 'busy' spec-wise: It has a lot of
counter-aligning going on: Negative rear thrust angle countering
the aforementioned caster and camber issues in the front.
It's like driving in a 'fog'.

What it really needs is a little more left-front negative camber,
and maybe a little less negative right-front camber. That is
actually more of an issue than the caster, now that you
pointed it out.

So my challenge is finding someone to go above and beyond,
even if there are just slightly bent parts up front causing it,
and nothing else.