Old April 13th 11, 05:35 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hal

Default Automatic vs. Manual transmission

> anyone saying this stuff is hard to repair is the same kind of luddite
> that said that about fuel injection 30 years ago. *now we laugh at
> injection luddites, not only because injection systems are simpler to
> repair, but because they're much more reliable.

30 years ago fuel injection was a lot different than it is today. The
computers were primitive, and there were plenty of points of failure
in the air box wiper contacts, multi-relays with 15+ pins, primitive
temperature sensors, a separate set of ignition points to fire
injectors(remember the old 1975+ VW beetles?), etc. Factor into that
no malfunction light to flash you a code, and the troubleshooting
could get pretty hairy. What you are saying is like comparing apples
and oranges as far as a modern FI system is concerned.

As far as the OP is concerned...ask yourself what is more likely to go
100,000 miles without a failure..a traditional gearbox, be it a
transmission or a transaxle, or this new DSG stuff that I've heard
nothing but bad things about.

IMHO there are far fewer points of failure in a traditional gearbox.
As soon as you add hydraulics, two clutches(!), that expensive special
fluid those DSG boxes take(!!), and the mechatronic unit, with
failures that seem to be a big issue with the VW version of these
things, it might give you pause about buying one.

Best...

Chris