Old August 28th 07, 09:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger

Default Shocks

"pws" > wrote in message
> Frank Berger wrote:
>
>> Given that the dealer wanted $1100 for the job including $123 per shock
>> (now that's shocking) and I can get 4 KYB GR-2's which are probably
>> better than the OEM shocks, for around $210 for all 4 on E-bay, it was an
>> easy decision to wait.

> The $123.00 per shock I can understand, that is why they are the
> stealership and we are just lucky that there are aftermarket alternatives
> for Miata shocks.
> Mazda is lucky that some people insist on OEM parts and don't care what it
> costs.
>
> But $608.00 in labor? Strange that they didn't at least try to hook you,
> as that is a major dollar amount per hour.
> The labor rates at your dealership are outrageous, yet they are basically
> honest. Weird....
>
> Pat

$89 per hour. They had no chance to sell me the shock replacement, but they
didn't know that. They *are* honest, as far as I can tell. Town North
Mazda, Richardson, Texas.

They also told me a while back when I had my timing belt replaced that they
don't necessarily recommend replacing the water pump at the same time.
Depends on how it sounds or looks or whether it leaks or something. This is
in contrast to the received wisdom in this newgoup of course, but I listened
to them. The WP went bad a couple of months later. :-(