Old September 4th 11, 02:42 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Jim H

Default I killed my Corvette

On 6/30/2011 6:34 AM, CardsFan wrote:
> "Jim > wrote in message
>> On Monday, I drove into town in my '93 40th Anniversary Corvette. It was
>> hot, very hot. On the way home, I noticed the outside temperature was
>> 115F. Then, I noticed that the car was running a little rough. Quickly,
>> the engine temperature started to climb. I know that I should have
>> stopped, but I was outside of town, and only had a few miles to go to get
>> home. I was more than a little scared of stopping on that hot, desert
>> road, miles from town, and miles from home.
>>
>> The "Check engine" light came on. The needle for the water temperature
>> shot past the end of the scale, and then dropped to zero. The car stalled,
>> and I let it drift on to the shoulder. When I opened the hood, there was a
>> mess. Water, steam, and smoke was everywhere.
>>
>> It is in at the auto service today. At least one head is bad with a hole
>> in it. They suspect the other may be damaged also. The price is $3,000 to
>> replace them. They can't test the water pump, or the opti-spark. Both are
>> original, and 19 years old. Without pulling the heads, they don't know
>> about the rest of the engine.
>>
>> I've decided to replace the engine. They can get one for about $3,000,
>> with a three year - 36,000 mile warranty. $2,200 for labor. With tax, new
>> opti-spark, and new water pump will push it to about $6,000.
>>
>> Unfortunately, I just replaced the A/C system and the tires a few months
>> ago. That was $4,000, and I still owe half of it.
>>
>> I can't afford to replace it right now, and I don't have the heart to sell
>> it as a project car for peanuts. So, my plans for a 2014 have been pushed
>> back for a long time.
>>
>> I guess the last 17 years of excellent service and reliability balances
>> out these big expenses, but it still hurts.

> That's a pretty big ouch, all right. I certainly respect your decision to
> fix the car instead of selling it off. I've been in a few slow car cruises
> in the summer here with my '93 and I've always been a little leery of the
> coolant temp. I haven't melted the engine,but I'm not a fan of entering my
> car in those things anymore. I'd rather just drive somewhere and park it
> and walk around and look at the other cars and talk to the owners.
>
> BTW, today is Corvette's 58th birthday! Cake and ice cream!!
>
> Best,
>
> AJM
> '93 40th Anniversary coupe, 6 speed (both tops)

Well, I've had the car back for a week. They kept it for most of two
months. They replaced the engine with a re-manufactured LT-1. They
replaced the distributor, the water pump, the spark plugs, wires, hoses,
belt idlers, and pretty much all of the sensors and connectors which
were all melted. I had to order a few pieces from the aftermarket for
them. I've driven it all week as part of the new engine break-in. It
runs smooth and very nice. I haven't pushed it yet, but it feels very
strong. It was expensive, but a lot less than replacing the car.

Only time will tell if it was a good decision, but the early results say
"yes".

--
Jim