Old January 20th 06, 07:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default car trouble

In article .com>,
andrea69au > wrote:
>hi the ignition came out of another 1984 mazda 626 and the car had just
>came into the yard from where ever had been in a small car crash. when
>the friend at first tried to put the points in before we went for the
>ignition he changed the timing cause it was way off the marks and the
>car didnt like anything he changed it too.

So, this year's model is available both with points and with an
electronic system? They changed in the middle of the model year?
That's weird.

Do you know what he changed? Did he change the whole distributor
and a black box?

If it were up to me, I would have looked for one of those aftermarket
units that were made in the seventies and eighties.... they keep the
existing points but they run so little current through them that the
points last a long time.

>the mechcanic he is good but for any work thats going to take alittle
>while i really need to book it in, and id rang him the day before and
>he said to bring it in and he would have a quick look, i think in his
>mind he thought it would be a easy repair he didnt charge me and said
>to bring it back this weekend if it was still playing up

Everybody hates cleaning up after someone else. I know I charge a lot
more to fix someone else's mistakes than to just do things from the
bottom up, because there's sometimes a lot of effort involved in figuring
out what the other guy actually did.
--scott