Old November 30th 10, 05:35 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tim O[_3_]

Default Anyone got any thoughts on PS3/GT5?

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 14:32:23 -0000, Peter
> wrote:

>In article >,
says...

>> Regarding the AI... There is good there, they run the proper racing
>> line and also get involved in accidents all by themselves.
>>
>> Here is the bad thing about the AI: They run the proper racing line.
>> Wait, thats the same as the good right?
>>
>> Well, yes and no. The AI is so structured that it feels lifeless and
>> generic. Most of the accidents occur when faster cars try to occupy
>> the same line. They're running the exact same lines at different
>> speeds and don't really seem to "see" each other. When you think about
>> that robotic behavior it all starts making sense, lifting the veil of
>> realism and exposing its mannequins face.
>>
>> Once you start getting skeptical, it snowballs. You will then find
>> that many of the Challenges involve not hitting things.
>>
>> This seems like good common sense, but its really only done to cover
>> for two weaknesses... The totally lacking damage model and the fact
>> that without the "no touch" limitation its very easy to careen and
>> bash your way to victory.
>>

>I read elsewhere that there is a 'realistic' damage model, but you have
>to progress to about level 40 before it is implemented.

Thats frigging horrible if its true. Unlockables is something I didn't
even get into and its another pain in the ass with the first version
of the game (Prologue). I was running races I had already completed
repeatedly to amass cash and buy cars for other challenges.

That is actually one of the things that led to me burning out on the
game. Initially, you acquire stuff pretty fast, but it tapers off and
you have to grind and grind at stuff you've already done to buy the
expensive cars for other events. Again, thats a completely console-y,
non simulation type thing.