Old March 11th 10, 09:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Default "99 Miata Gas Smell.

Ron wrote:
> On Mar 10, 8:26 pm, pws > wrote:
>> pws wrote:
>>> I would check the fuel line and fuel rail/fuel injectors for leakage. I
>>> had a rubber fuel hose on my current Miata split on me one time and it
>>> was spraying a lot of gas into the engine compartment.
>>> This could be the same thing but a very small leak. It obviously would
>>> not take much to have the interior reeking with gas fumes.
>>> Pat

>> Oh yeah, I would look closely at the hoses coming from the fuel pump as
>> well.
>> It is on the shelf behind the seats, underneath the carpet, so a small
>> leak here would really smell up the interior badly.
>>
>> HTH and let us know!
>>
>> Pat

> That sounds more like. It is definitely not coming from under the hood.

If it is coming from this area, the carpet probably smells strongly of
gas, more so than the rest of the interior. It is not too hard to pop
out the carpet fasteners, peel the carpet forward and take a look.

Like Chuck said, this could also be the fuel pump seal, which
immediately surrounds the fuel hoses.
This rubber seal is all that is keeping the gas fumes in the tank from
entering the interior. I have never seen one go bad, but it is possible.

If there is no smell in the trunk or under the hood, then either the
fuel pump seal or the fuel pump hoses would definitely be the best guess.

Good luck!

Pat