Old June 7th 16, 08:39 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Jan Poulsen

Default Audi 100 5cyl cold start problem

> skrev i meddelelsen
>
> On Tuesday, February 7, 2006 at 2:01:01 PM UTC-4, Tony wrote:
>> Check the multi function temperture sensor. They have three or four wires
>> located near the upper radiator hose on the block. It is common for them
>> to fail
>> and cause these problems. New ones will have only three wires. These can
>> also
>> cause the temperature gage to not work.
>>
>> sealdogfish wrote:
>> > Well the fuel pump is running fine with plenty of pressure, the only
>> > problem is the cold start injector not getting any power when cranking
>> > and Im currently under the impression that it is a temp sensor, bad
>> > ground or bad wiring, the computer has been replaced with no change.
>> > the car does not 'start' on ether it just fires. once the car is
>> > running it runs fine until you let it sit for 4 hours or so, when it
>> > goes cold. Anyway im working on the problem and will reply once it is
>> > fixed, now there is another issue i need to sort, see the new post.
>> >

> I know this is an old post but I have the exact same problem you were
> describing in this post. Did you ever resolve this issue???

I had this issue on my Audi 100 2.2E. It was about 17 years old at the
time. It turned out to be the gaskets on the fuel lines going into the
engine block. When cold, they would contract enough to let in false air.
Once the engine warmed up, the gaskets would form a tight seal again and the
engine would run fine. I had tried for weeks to find the problem and it
took my shop a whole week of cold starting every morning to figure out what
the problem was.

Regards,
Jan Poulsen