Old March 5th 09, 01:11 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Kickin' Ass & Takin' Names

Default Another 4WD question -- 97 Mazda B4000

I posted earlier about problems with my 97 Mazda B4000 not going into
4WD.

When I turn the switch on the dash to 4WD HI or 4WD LO, the dash
indicator light comes on
corresponding to the switch position but the truck clearly IS NOT
going into
4WD.

I fiddled around with it today in the garage. When I turn the switch
from 2WD
to 4WD, I don't hear anything moving -- as I understand it, flipping
the switch
causes a solenoid on the transfer case to activate, engaging the
transfer case
into either HI or LO and it seems as though I'd here something click,
clunk,
grind, or whatever.

I checked the 4WD fuse in the fusebox under the hood and it's good. I
pulled
the fuse out and checked it with my ohmmeter and it's good -- I
sprayed contact
cleaner into the slot for the fuse and plugged it back in. No change.

I crawled under the truck. There's a driveshaft coming out of the
transfer case
that runs into the front differential and two shafts run from the
differential
to the front wheels. I can turn the driveshaft coming out of the
transfer case
with my hand -- it turns freely and I see the shafts going to the
wheels
turning.

I thought there was something -- vacuum line? -- running to the front
wheels
that activates the automatic hubs but the only thing I see going to
the front
wheels is the brake line.

And now the 4WD LO light on the dash will not go out.

Guess it's time for a trip to the dealer.

As soon as they get it working, I'm going to replace the automatic
hubs with
WARN manual hubs.

Am I right in thinking that the front automatic hubs are engaged all
the time
and the only thing that happens when I turn the switch on the dash is
that a
solenoid engages the transfer case?

How about I crawl under the truck and whack the solenoid a time or two
with a hammer?

Thanks.