Old August 22nd 07, 07:21 PM posted to rec.autos.misc

Default dual hitch adapter on a 1 1/4" hitch receiver with converter possible?

On Jul 30, 8:55 am, markm75 > wrote:
> I am wondering if the following is possible/safe to do:
>
> I was thinking of getting this 2" dual receiver adapter to put on my 1
> 1/4" hitch (on a 99 grandprix gt)...
>
> This is the 2" dual adapter:http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...jsp;jsessionid...
>
> Obviously to make this work I need the 1 1/4" to 2" adapter as well:http://www.cargogear.com/oneiteminfo...artnum=SW64003
>
> I would use that combo with these two:
>
> Bike rack: Allen Deluxe 4 bikehttp://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/B000LHP1VA/sr=8-1/q...
>
> and this cargo carrier:
>
> http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...jsp;jsessionid...
>
> Any thoughts on the ability of the hitch itself to handle this load,
> with 4 bikes and some luggage on the luggage rack, obviously my car
> would need to be able to handle the load, I'm guessing it may kill a
> bit of gas mileage too.. perhaps not the best combo, at least for this
> vehicle..
>
> (the hitch on my car is rated at 350 lbs of downward force, 3500 class
> II loads overall).

I've been thinking about the same thing. I have a 1 1/4" hitch on my
HHR, and I have a need to pull a trailer and use my bike rack. I have
looked everywhere for a dual 1 1/4" hitch receiver. I'm worried about
the fact that if I use the 2" version and use all the adapters to make
1 1/4" work, it will extend my ball too far out, torquing the hitch
installed on my car.