Old September 6th 09, 01:55 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Hachiroku ハチロク[_2_]

Default 1994 Caravan - Bad "thunks" on bumps and potholes

On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 11:46:32 -0700, Bob F wrote:

> I recently acquired a 1994 Caravan (3.3L 3spd auto w/O.D.). It behaved very
> badly on bumps, sounding like it is bottoming out on what seem like small bumps,
> producing a very loud "thunk" from whichever front tires that hits the bump. My
> previous van (1987 Nissan) never behaved this way.
>
> The records I have show the following:
>
> Current mileage 128,600
> Struts replaced @ 93245
> Motor mounts - Cntr Eng, replaced @ 120,093
> Sway bar bushings replaced @ 120,093
> Outer motor mounts appear to have been replaced also
>
> It seems like struts with 35,000 miles should be still good. No leakage is
> visable.
>
> Can anyone offer any suggestions to solve this problem? New struts? stiffer
> struts? Anything?

If this is a long wheelbase with 15" tires, the thing's on it's way out.
If you pay me $250, I'll gladly take it off your hands...

I had one that did this for a long time. I believe it's the rear shocks. I
was going to replace them, but the motor had the 3.3 liter rocker tower
problem, and no heat, and when I went to chaeck the water pump a number of
the bolts just snapped, so I scrapped it.

I looked at the brakes, the springs, the axles, etc. I also tried another
one that did this, but it had too many issues to deal with for $995.

You didn't buy it in Keene NH, did you?