Old July 30th 18, 07:38 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Arlen Holder

Default Clutch bolts and locktite

On 30 Jul 2018 06:57:35 GMT, Scott Dorsey wrote:

> This is exactly how tires blow out when they are underinflated. You say that
> she checked the pressure last week, but that doesn't mean there wasn't a nail
> or sidewall puncture causing the tire to lose pressure slowly.

Wow. I wasn't expecting someone to say "underinflated" especially since she
told me she inflates them to 40psi even though the door sticker I had her
read says 29 psi. So, if anything, she would have been overinflated.

I had her check for nail holes and she said she didn't see any. I told her
to save the carcass for me (she was on a trip and won't be back for a few
days) so I could physically look at it when she returns.

She's pretty meticulous, so, I'm sure the tires weren't underinflated at
the time she was using them, but could they have been run chronically
underinflated by the previous owner (more than a year ago) and still blown
out yesterday (a year later)?

> Tires are wear items. You replace them now and then, you check them often,
> and sometimes they just fail. The government is not likely to be able to do
> much about that.

I have had many flats, but I've never seen a tire do that.

The AAA guy said to her (according to her) that there must have been
something wrong with the tire. He checked her spare before putting it on
and he said it was good (where the spare would have been checked with the
other tires last week and where I had repaired her spare with a patchplug
about six months ago).

I'm positive that the tire wasn't underinflated last week, and, in fact, it
was, if anything, at 40psi, unless, of course, there was a leak (which I
don't know about).

I have no idea if it was run chronically underinflated at some point in its
life though, so all I can say is that it likely wasn't underinflated in the
last week - unless - unless there is a nail hole (which I will look for).

I think it's odd that I've never seen a tire do that, nor, according to
her, did the AAA towtruck think it normal, and that you think it's normal.

I'm not saying you're wrong as I don't have the experience - where all I
can say is I have had, oh, I don't know, 40 or 50 flats, and none looked
anything like that (which is not much experience as a tire shop will see
much more).

I'll take the photo to a tire shop to ask them also, so I do very much
appreciate the advice since I realize 40 or 50 flats (I'm guessing at the
number) for me isn't all that much experience. (I should note that I have
repaired this neighbor's tires in the past, but this is DEFINITELY not one
of the ones I touched - the last one I did was right on the edge of her
sidewall - which I posted pictures of a month or two ago - and I repaired
the spare also - both with patch plugs.

At that time (we can look up the date of that thread), three of her five
tires were patched by me from the inside - but she confirmed this is not
one of them (I write on the tire with grease pen when I repair them and she
hated those markings because they were on the outside sidewall so it's
confirmed I never touched this particular tire except to fill it with air).