Old July 30th 18, 06:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Vic Smith

Default Clutch bolts and locktite

On Mon, 30 Jul 2018 14:39:23 +1000, Xeno > wrote:

>On 30/7/18 3:50 am, dsi1 wrote:

>> I used one of those big Chilton multi-year/model manuals to change the timing belts on a Subaru. It was simple enough except they left out a step where you turn the crankshaft 360 degrees after installing one belt. This meant that one cam was 180 degrees out of phase with the other cam. It also meant that your engine wasn't going to start. That was a very bad mistake.
>>

>Yes, a very bad omission. I have seen similarly disastrous omissions and
>errors in those aftermarket manuals. Flywheel and clutch bolt torque
>settings switched for instance. That was an obvious error to a trained
>mechanic but wouldn't have been for an amateur.

When I rebuilt my 352 and put it together there was a random knock. Never even moved the
truck. I couldn't figure it out.
Finally decided to let it idle until it screamed, obviously wiping bearings.
It didn't take long, maybe 2-3 minutes of very erratic knocking. Dropped the pan, found
wipings in the new oil. Still had the rented engine hoist, so I pulled the engine again,
and tore it down. Found the cam lobes had been chipped. I spent about 15 minutes
searching the garbage can for the old fiber cam gear I had replaced with a new cast iron
one. Saw that the cast iron one had the 1/4" spacer I had reinstalled cast in with the
gear. Took the block back to the shop which had bathed it, and installed new cam bearings.
This shop had also miked the crank and bores and sold me the correct size bearings, cam,
rings, and lifters. The parts guy there felt bad that he hadn't warned me about the new
cam gear, and didn't charge me for a new cam. About 20 bucks. I was surprised at that -
figured I should have caught that myself. Hell, if it had been a day later, and the
garbage had been picked up, I would have had a hell of a time figuring out what was wrong.
That little fiasco cost me about a days work.
What I can't remember about the whole thing, is how in the hell I put that block in and out
of my '64 Bug 4 times for shop trips. I worked alone the whole time. Ah, youth!