Old November 20th 04, 08:39 PM
Mr Fix It

Oh i don't know about that.....

I bought a 1987 E plater 18 months ago ... knowing
it needed a camshaft job due to the usual problem of the
spray bar bolts working loose.
Also the air con condensor was holed.
And one of the interior bulbs was blown.
The passenger side mirror was dull.
It had two tiny stone chips on the front of the bonnet. (1mm jobs).
And it had a "not to excessive" 108k miles of interior wear.
(E.G: None).
No dents.
No respray work whatsoever (trust me, i can spot a respray).
A book full of service stamps, coupled with two folders worth
of receipts and a phone call to the local independant to confirm
a few for good measure.
Not the first car i viewed ... in fact it was the ninth .... and so far i
had travelled 950 miles looking at the others.

18 months later:
Head completely overhauled ... done by myself so i could plough
more money into parts and less on labour. (Besides, i've done 8
different M20 head rebuilds in the past ... so an M30 is a nice
change).
All oils and filters changed.
Brakes overhauled.
Air con overhauled.
New tyres.
New radiator to match the new water pump and thermostat
already fitted.
Tons of other stuff sorted (dash. capacitors, angel eyes fitted,
1500 watts of ice,etc).
It is now 100% fully functional.

Also its 100% thrashable ... it won't break ... besides the last
car i did a thorough overhaul on has been extremely reliable
over the past 7 years ... my 525e ... so why should i expect
something with a much better chassis to be any worse??

Not everyones cup of tea, more of an enthusiasts car ... but
every marque has its fans.
There are some completely absolute heaps of **** out there,
often being sold by car dealers, who always lay on the sales pitch.
Mould ridden boots, dented floor pans, rust crawling up the
doors, electrics failing left right and centre due to damp/lack
of use ... all picked to pieces and the seller advised to not
waste anybody elses time. (Some get nasty in return!!).

How on earth someone can advertise these ****ters with
the words: Genuine mileage, full service history, nice condition,
blah,blah is beyond me ... these people shouldn't drive if
they can't see what they are selling.
But then there are mugs out there who buy them!!

--
Regards....
Steve

"Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Mark J. Amero > wrote:
> > I currently own a 1989 525i and have had it about a year. It is my first
> > experience owning a BMW. Unfortunately (due to my own fault of not
> > thoroughly checking the car first) my 525i has a series of issues. After
> > getting the car inspected recently, I have realized that it will cost
> > more to get my 525i fixed than I feel it is worth. SO... I am looking at
> > selling or trading in my 5 series. Although my car has issues, I do like
> > BMW's and am seriously considering buying a 7 series of the same period.

> The chances of finding a good 7 Series of that age are remote. They had
> all sorts of electrics/electronics problems and will invariably have been
> bodged by now.
>
> Go for a 535. They're one of the BMW classics.
>
> --
> *Why does the sun lighten our hair, but darken our skin?
>
> Dave Plowman London SW
> To e-mail, change noise into sound.

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (