Old March 23rd 05, 07:15 PM
L Sternn

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 17:04:16 GMT, "Skip Elliott Bowman"
> wrote:

>The father of the motorcycle victim was on the Early Show this morning. He
>had enough to deal with behind losing his son, which is a pain I hope no one
>here ever experiences, and then he has this jerk of a cop blowing off the
>friend who called it in like it was a crank call.
>
>"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 08:07:48 GMT, "jaybird" > wrote:
>>
>>>Of course he shouldn't be fired. He's an 18 year veteran with no prior
>>>disciplinary action. I wouldn't wish a firing on anyone in any profession
>>>with that record, just based on a comment.

>> While I am on record as agreeing with your position, it seems likely
>> that he has been doing things like this for some time; this is merely
>> the first time he got caught/somebody complained loudly enough. The
>> article itself mentions that he was rude to some other callers, as
>> well.

>Apparently, folks reading this thread missed this part of the article:
>
>"Peasley, who was working the dispatch desk in the Troop E
>barracks in Montville, was punished after an internal affairs
>investigation for several offenses, including conduct
>unbecoming a police officer, inefficient action and lack
>of decorum, police said."
>
>> This kind of negative attitude doesn't suddenly appear one day after
>> an 18-year exemplary record; it has been YEARS in the making. Nor will
>> it magically disappear after 15 days.

>Zacly, Scott. He's been getting away with this for years and years, and
>only now did he get caught.
>
>I predict this officer will have
>> future run-ins of a similar nature. And, of course, once he racks up
>> enough of them he will eventually be fired for cause (or forced to
>> retire or something).

>The only times I have known police officers to be fired is when they are
>caught selling drugs on the job or having kiddie porn on their computer.
>But when an unarmed suspect is shot to death, the grand jury will not hand
>down an indictment. That being the case, does anybody truly believe that
>being rude to a 911 caller is grounds for dismissal to an 18-year veteran?

Not only was he rude, which is unacceptable, but he HUNG UP on them.

IOW, he INTENTIONALLY put OTHER people's lives at risk because he "was
having a bad day" (to use jaybird's excuse).

It most certainly is grounds for firing.

>I think a proper way to handle this is give him a 5 day rip and reassign him
>to a job where he doesn't come into contact with the general public.

And I say fire his ass on the spot and let him beg for a job
elsewhere.