Old March 12th 11, 06:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Hal

Default 1997 P0300 weirdness

All - my 1997 with 109k on the clock has developed an annoying habit
of flashing the CEL at highway speeds recently. I never lose any
power, and the car runs fine throughout the RPM band.

I found a TSB regarding this issue and checked the gap between the CKP
and the crank sensor plate. It was out of spec, so I adjusted it. I
also cleaned all three grounds in the engine bay and reset the light.

The problem came back. The only other thing I can mention is that my
speedometer cable broke a few months back because the speedometer
itself locked up, so I took the speedo apart, oiled the bushing, and I
repaired the cable with a small piece of model airplane all-thread.
The speedo works now but the pointer is a bit jumpy because the end of
the cable is not perfectly straight. And while I was in there fixing
the speedometer I noted that there is a reed switch on the magnetic
drag ring that is probably the feed to the computer for the vehicle
speed.

So..going out on a limb here.....does anyone know...do the VSS and CKP
sensors work in tandem to detect misfires? If so, I may need to
replace the speedo cable to fix this problem....

Thanks,
Chris