Old October 23rd 20, 11:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Wade Garrett

Default Why do horns in small cars sound so weak and small?

On 10/23/20 4:34 PM, butler mike wrote:
> On Friday, September 24, 1993 at 10:56:37 AM UTC-4, Don T. Borowski wrote:
>> John R Laplante ) wrote:
>> :
>> : Big cars have horns that make 'big sounds.' Loud. Full.
>> : Small cars have horns that make 'small sounds.' "tinny." "beep beep".
>> :
>> : I thought of this yesterday when I was driving my big old buick,
>> : and had a need for the horn. I thought "i'm glad i'm driving this
>> : car, rather than my Camry." The camry is not a small car, but
>> : it still has a small car "beep beep" sound...
>> :
>> : So.. the question is: what are the determinants of the sound of
>> : cars? Why do the horns on small cars sound as they are?
>> : Is it because the engine compartment is smaller? Is the horn
>> : smaller? Not powered as much? Do new big cars still have
>> : that sounds that you get from the big old cars?
>> It is because someone has designed it that way.
>> To same money (and a bit of weight), a lot of small cars come with just
>> a single horn. A lot of the old Detroit iron had two horns tuned to
>> different notes. This is probably the biggest difference in the sound.
>> The solution is easy. Just go down to the local junk yard, and get
>> the horns off some old Detroit iron. Wire them up, and get that
>> good old satisfying sound.
>>
>> Donald Borowski WA6OMI Hewlett-Packard, Spokane Division
>> "Angels are able to fly because they take themselves so lightly."
>> -G.K. Chesterton

Many people who drive weenie cars do so to virtue signal they are green.
And the little horn sound fits right in...being polite and not adding to
noise pollution ;-)

--
Why is it that the people who want more government control over your
life are the same ones who want you to be disarmed?