Old May 16th 18, 05:57 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
The Real Bev[_5_]

Default Autobahn

On 05/16/2018 09:04 AM, Erik Meltzer wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On 16.05.2018 17:52, The Real Bev wrote:
>> On 05/16/2018 04:14 AM, Erik Meltzer wrote:
>>> Is this group dead, or is something wrong with my feed?

>> Nope, this is the new 'normal'. The only really active groups, at least
>> of the 30 or so I subscribe to, seem to be computer-related. Everyone
>> else seems to have migrated to facebook, which is a real shame. It's no
>> substitute.

> Nothing that's controlled by a company is a substitute, by definition.
> They'll all disappear some day. Usenet won't (it might keep getting
> smaller, but there'll always be a geek with a newsserver somewhere).

My ISP discontinued its newsserver subscription years ago. Apparently
it was expensive and not used all that much. Toward what I assume is
the end, the helpdroids didn't even know what usenet was. One of them
thought it was maybe some sort of satellite service.

I don't know how news.eternal-september stays in business, but we owe
him/them a lot.

>> Are there still no speed limits on the Autobahn?

> Most Autobahns are unlimited, but those most travelled typically have
> a 120 km/h limit these days. Some have adaptive speed limits: huge
> illuminated signs that can show different speed limits (and other
> signs like "no overtaking for trucks" or "fog" etc.) according to
> conditions. When conditions are good and traffic is light, most of
> those are unlimited too.
>
> But most drivers seem to have slowed down.

The freeways are miserably crowded in the Los Angeles area now.
Doubling the number of lanes would only -- at best -- cut the traffic in
half, and that would still be miserable. Just too many people now, and
I don't see any way to improve that. 'Rush hour' now lasts from 6am to
10am or later and 3pm to god knows when. We're all doomed :-( Even
thinking about speed limits most of the time is silly.

> I don't see nearly as
> many speeding past me with 200+ km/h as I did a decade ago. I don't
> think fuel prices are the reason; they haven't risen that much.
> Probably a combination of more traffic and more thinking? Well,
> maybe I'm just being optimistic.
>
> My feel-good speed varies between 100 and 160 km/h (60 to 100 mph)
> depending on circumstances and conditions.

Sounds reasonable. It depends on lack of crowding and time traveled at
a high speed -- after a while it begins to seem slow and I speed up
without thinking. Easy to drive on autopilot if the highway is good and
nobody else is using it. I love Utah.

--
Cheers, Bev
"On the other hand, I live in California so I'd be willing to