Old May 16th 18, 12:14 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Erik Meltzer[_2_]

Default "Emergency Vehicle"

Hi!

On 07.12.2017 19:49, The Real Bev wrote:
> Back when we were doing a lot of traveling (NOT interstates) in the
> midwest and east, every once on a while we would see a large official
> sign by the side of the main road proclaiming EMERGENCY VEHICLE.* There
> would be some sort of cutout or dirt road leading to some unknown
> destination,

Here in Germany, there are plenty of small access roads to Autobahns
marked (with the German signage equivalent to) "no passing for any
vehicles except emergency vehicles". They're for letting local
fire departments et.al. to enter the Autobahn in case of a crash
there, without needing to take the long way via the next official
entry/exit. Usually they lead to some acticultural road, which
from the other end is marked as no access accordingly.

> and* there was ALWAYS some sort of ancient rusted wreck
> nearby.

Maybe the tow trucks dumped the wrecks near the access roads after
having dragged them off the main road, when it seemed foreseeable
that no-one would come to claim them and pay the towing bill?

Unrelated side note: I just resubscribed to rec.autos.driving after
a decade or so of absence, and got only nine postings. Is this
group dead, or is something wrong with my feed?

Yours,
Ermel.
--
Nach 10 Jahren oder so zurück im Usenet.
Schmeckt wie früher.