Old June 28th 05, 05:52 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005, Shaun Q wrote:

> Can anyone help me with this?
>
> My 93 Sundance was backing up today and after I tried to shift (it's a
> manual trans) into first, I was unable to push it into gear. I'm unable
> to push it into any gear whatsoever -- 1 thru 5 or reverse. It starts
> to move that way but don't go past the point where it would click into
> gear. It will move side to side, but won't go into the gear position.
> Any ideas on what's wrong? How would I fix this?

You've probably got a bad (kinked) shifter cable or two. The failure point
is usually at the shifter end. If you'll slide the shifter boot down, you
can lift the tab that holds on the shift knob, then lift the knob off the
shift stick, then lift up the boot. Now you can see the shifter mechanism.
From there you can inspect for evidence of bent/binding cables. If you see
nothing, the damage is probably elsewhere in the cable(s). On the other
hand, you may find that something has gotten into the shifter mechanism
and is physically blocking it, though this is not as likely.