Old May 17th 05, 03:53 PM
Jan Andersson

Houdsie wrote:

> Well, I feel sheepish. I took the advice Speedy Jim sent me to clean
> the points in case some grease got on them. Turn the key and she
> started right up. 24 hours of frustration taken care of in 1 minute.
> I wish all things in life were that easy. Thanks to everyone for your
> input.
>
> I did notice a white spot on the points at the contact point. Is that
> normal? Or should I plan on replacing the points in the near future?
> Thanks again. Now on to the radio problem...

It's normal. You will need to go back there sometime in the future to
file or sand them clean. They'll develop a "spike" and a crater, and
much more white (and black) buildup that you see now. After you file
them flat and shiny again for the first time, they will get nasty again
MUCH sooner than before. (The protective surface treatment will be
gone). THEN get ready to replace them.

Jan