Old July 8th 08, 01:30 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
dizzy

Default Considering a used BMW 530i V6 ... A bit on 6 cylinder engines

Tom K. wrote:

>"dizzy" > wrote:
>>
>> The I6 would be a lot more popular in cars were not for it's length,
>> which makes it impractical to turn sideways for FWD applications.

>Although there have been at least 3 modern motorcycle applications of the
>transverse I-6 - the Benelli 750cc, Honda 1050 and Kawasaki 1300.

Ironically, fitting a long motor transversely may be easier with
motorcycles than with cars. With motorcycles, there is no "hard
limit" to how wide the motor can be. With cars, there's the shocks
and wheel-wells there. Additionally, motorcycles are designed with
the clutch and transmission completely behind the motor. With cars,
the clutch and transmission are inline with the crankshaft, which is
most efficient.