Old July 24th 18, 06:14 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Arlen Holder

Default Clutch bolts and locktite

On 23 Jul 2018 22:37:05 GMT, Paul in Houston TX wrote:

> Nice clutch kit.

I needed 30 inches of 1/2" extension for the two top 17mm bolt
but those extensions you saw didn't come with the Aisin clutch kit.
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=7378316clutch01.jpg>

The Rockauto Aisin clutch kit only comes with these 5 parts.
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=2998436clutch02.jpg>

> From the photo it looks like it got pretty hot.

It was slipping for about 30 to 50 miles and stinking up a bit also.

> I would have it machined or replaced.

Machining is $60, replacement is in stock at one dealer at $716 (PN
13405-75040) plus $66.23 in sales tax, which makes that dealer $782.23.
When I gasped, the counter guy said he could take 20% off, which I didn't
know that dealers did discounts.

Calling another dealer, they didn't have it in stock but it was $588 plus
$54.39 in sales tax, which makes it 642.39.

At the local parts stores, a LUK flywheel is $95, O'Reillys PowerTorque
flywheel is $81.74, and the Autozone BrutePower flywheel is $82.

It always amazes me that the dealer parts guys don't know what brand
anything is, so I can't tell you who makes the Toyota flywheel but my
choice is one of the others, based on sheer price alone.

> Rent an electric impact wrench and socket if you need to.

I am about to try now, where I have a 1/2 inch motorocycle hand impact
driver, but I don't have 1/2 inch 12-point sockets, so I will try with a
1/2-inch to 3/8-inch adaptor but that seems like a kludge.

If that doesn't work, when I pick up the flywheel, I'll buy some 1/2 inch
12-point impact sockets (if they even exist).

I do have a 220VAC 20-gallon 120 psi compressor and an air impact gun but
the gun sucks and is only good for spinning off already loose bolts. I
don't know why it sucks. It never worked. I bought it 20 years ago, and it
just takes up space in my toolbox. I don't know how to pick a good one at a
good price where price is important because I almost never use the air
impact gun.

Maybe I'll buy an air impact gun, but since I need it today, I can only
shop Home Depot where I don't even know what they sell there or if it's any
good. Clearly the air impact gun I have sucks, so you can get sucky ones
for sure, and who wants that.