Old July 15th 08, 12:18 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Floyd Rogers[_1_]

Default 330xi Front Differential failure

Well, had a bad/weird thing happen Friday. Just started downhill from
Timberline lodge about a mile coasting in 4th at around 40mph, and
*apparently* my front differential failed catastrophically with a big BANG
and caused the front wheels to completely lock up. Scary!

100 feet later, after skidding and hopping, I'm completely immobile in the
middle of the lane. (It stopped nice and straight, but my fronts are
probably flat-spotted.) The rear wheels rotated when being winched onto the
flatbed, so that probably eliminates the transfer case.

Anyone else had similar thing happen? I'm guessing an easy $2500 to
replace/fix - any idea if that is a good guess?