Old May 26th 06, 12:26 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

Default Audi TT = 4wheeler.. question...

"Steve Sears" > wrote in message
.. .
> J,
> Wow, how much Nomex are you wearing????
> If you've ever seen a TT up really close, like under the hood/in the
> suspension, you must realize that you're talking about trying to fit an
> elephant through a keyhole. Things are really crammed in there, and add
> all the electronics, and suspension gear that was made for going fairly
> fast _on road_...which is quite different than even crawling off-road, you
> might be making something of a big, jacked up paperweight. Sure, you
> could jack it up to the height of Gravedigger if you've got Dennis
> Anderson's bank account, if money's no object, but the TT is no basis for
> an off-road vehicle of any kind - it's made from all sorts of stuff to
> lighten it's weight (even though it's pretty heavy). I'm not going to try
> to dissuade you from doing the project simply because it's an Audi...heck:
> http://forums.audiworld.com/v8/msgs/82281.phtml
> Cheers!
> Steve Sears
> 1987 Audi 5kTQ - lowered, not jacked up.
> 1980 Audi 5k
> 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes
> (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)

I have in the back of my mind the knowledge that this is thoroughly goofy.
No, I haven't seen the insides up-close - that's why I wanted the
drawings... In order to really get an idea, I'd have to get a junked one and
take it apart...

My thought was that the independent drive shafts and some beefed up
wishbones would prevent the big ugly platform look like the one in the link
you sent. Like the Humvee, it would be a T-Vee. I can see that steering
would be a problem... but since you point it out, I can also see the
leverage of a large tire yanking the frame in half... Sounds like I'd have
to start from scratch. Really, the looks and the drivetrain are interesting
for the project - the rest is just in the way. I'd have to cut the
wheelwells wider anyways.

Thanks
-JB