Old August 31st 04, 03:24 AM
Frank Berger

"Gary" > wrote in message
news:RRQYc.10303$u94.4732@trndny06...
> I have about 78K on a '90 and have never done the timing belt. Shame on

me,
> but the car runs great. Can I get another 10K and delay doing it or am I
> flirting with disaster? If I gamble by waiting a while longer am I going

> ruin the engine if it finally goes on me? Also, has anyone ever gotten

over
> 80K on a timing belt on a early Miata, like my '90?

Based on previous discussions of the same issue, timing belts on California
miatae are warranted for 100K miles - same car same belts - so it would seem
the odds are in your favor. The miata has a non-interference engine so
should the timing belt break, you should just come to a stop, no damage. If
you really want to risk getting stranded somewhere, why not push it well
past 100K miles? Maybe 200K.