Old October 17th 05, 04:18 AM
Rick Morris

Default Stuttering and check engine light

I was driving my 2001 MX-5 (26K, Red) around with my wife looking at the
Fall colors. The car had been stuck in the garage for close to a month as I
had a pallet of building supplies blocking it's egress. Anyhow, got it out
an went for a nice drive. About 1/2 hour into our drive the car started
acting like it was out of fuel. Almost like the ignition was being turned on
an off. I got to a side street and noted that the car could not rev over
1,500 rpm without intermittently losing power. The check engine light came
on about that time. The car would idle but revving it above 1,500 rpm again
caused it to cut power on and off. After about 5 minutes of this, the whole
ting resolved and the car again drove as it always has. However, the check
engine light remains on now. Again, there are no current drivability issues
but the check engine light is on. Any ideas of what happened?? I hate to go
to the dealer but I guess I will need to have them look at it. No problems
ever before with the car. I assumed it was an electronic glitch. There was
no backfiring, but the on-off power thing was almost like turning the
ignition switch on and off.

Does one have to go to a Mazda dealer to see what happened or can any
competent independent shop help me??

Weird!

Thanks for any suggestions!!

Rick