Old December 11th 17, 08:57 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Default 80 series Landcruiser rear axle removal - need advice.

On Friday, 11 January 2008 19:08:08 UTC+13, MugMechanic wrote:
> I've been doing the brakes on my '94 Landcruiser, no problem with that, but
> I've noticed a slight oil leak from the right rear axle when I pulled off
> the brake disk to check the handbrake and adjust. So I suspect an axle oil
> seal needs replacing.
> I have one of those rather useless Gregory's repair manuals and all it says
> about removing the rear axle is :-
>
> 1. Remove the axle shaft to rear hub nuts and spring washers.
> [OK done, removed six 12mm nuts and spring washers, bit tight with rust
> but they came off OK with WD40.]
>
> 2. Using a hammer and brass punch on the studs remove the cone washers from
> the axle shaft flange.
> {Here I'm stuck. I've tried tapping the studs with a brass drift, but
> nothing happens. I can see the "cone washers" but how hard do I have to belt
> the studs to get them out? I'm afraid to bash the studs too hard for fear of
> damaging them. I've applied some WD40 and let it stand overnight.}
>
> 3. Install 2 x M8x25mm bolts to the threaded holes in the axle shaft flange
> and tighten evenly until the flange is dislodged from the rear hub.
>
> [OK no problem, I can do that, but it seems you have to get the cone
> washers out first as per step 2]
>
> There are no comprehensive illustrations in the Gregory's manual to help.
>
> Can anyone please advise on how to go about step 2 to get the cone washers
> out, just tapping the studs even fairly hard with the brass drift dies not
> seem to do the trick.
>
> Cheers,
>
> MugMechanic.

Hey guys, does anyone know what the thread size is for the two bolts that remove the axles? M8 x what? 1? 1.5?

--
The information contained in this e-mail message and any accompanying files
is or may be confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any use,