Old May 10th 13, 07:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default 6V to 12 conversion q.

Bill Leary > wrote:
> > ...put an old Bus-axle in it. It wouldn't want to wheelie when
> > climbing a hill {...} like a Bug-axle will.

> Those were the ones with the reduction gears at the wheel end of
> the axles?

Yes and you had to put the ring on the opposite side of the pinion
if you were converting a Bug transmission + differential to Bus.

^^that's the key to the whole thing, see it?

> > Are you talking about cutting the clutch housing out so the
> > 12v flywheel and ring gear would fit?

> Yes, but {I} wasn't cutting out the entire housing.
> <snip>
> Maybe earlier transmissions,... would have require more grinding.

Yeah, that was the case with mine, a little bit all the way around
and more at the four bolt/stud holes.

> It was mostly tedious.

LOL! ...not on a dune buggy it wasn't.

> Put the engine in....

....then pull it right back out again and take a look.

Set the engine on an old metal milk-basket out of the way. xD

> I think we test fit it four or five times until it finally would
> spin without hitting anything.

Same here.

> > Had the kids help me {collect} the shavings and piled 'em
> > up and set 'em on fire too. LOL

> I just vacuumed them out.
> - Bill

That would have been kind of "exiting" if the magnesium shavings
would've caught fire inside your vacuum cleaner.

Wow, forgot all about this tool I made, it's shining moment was
prob'ly that clutch bellhousing...

http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/file12/burr-motor.jpg

It sounds like a vacuum cleaner when it's running (~7500rpm).

Alvin in AZ