Old January 15th 08, 08:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda
Tony Harding

Default Price fixing among tire manufacturers

My Name Is Nobody wrote:
> "Bill Putney" > wrote in message
>> My Name Is Nobody wrote:
>>
>>> I'm sure with your attitudes, the blatant thievery going on in Russia's
>>> newly privatized energies industries is perfectly acceptable to you
>>> too... Sheesh...

>> That's quite a jump of logic. What do you base that on? Are we talking
>> Russian mafia (also called "thieves in the law" when translated into
>> English)? Why do you equate stealing with business profit?
>>
>>> Where do the many billions of dollars in US tax payer provided OIL
>>> industry subsidies fit into your accounting scheme?

>> What "scheme" are you talking about!?

> Your big oil is not ripping the American public of "scheme".
> Did you follow the Enron market manipulation insanity? That was a so called
> "price controlled" utilities market.

What are you talking about here? The CFTC (Commodities Futures Trading
Commission) is charged with providing oversight on markets where Enron
and other "energy trading" companies traded their contracts. However, in
1993 Ken Lay suggested to the Chair of the CFTC, Wendy Gramm, that he
thought they didn't need any oversight. Ms Gramm agreed and pushed thru
an exemption for Enron and its trading partners, so those trades had no
oversight at all. Shortly after this Ms Gramm resigned from the CFTC and
took a seat on Enron's board. Ms Gramm is (or was) married to former
Senator Phil Gramm, R.TX, who was a heavy hitter in those days.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sta...2/enron/31.stm