Old March 6th 14, 11:40 PM posted to misc.legal,ca.driving,rec.autos.driving,ba.transportation
Liam O'Connor

Default What is the process to have an illegal STOP sign removed?

On Thu, 06 Mar 2014 06:52:30 -0800, sms wrote:

> the fact that using stop signs to stop speeding is discouraged,
> it's not illegal.

Hi SMS,

I usually see you over in a.h.r, so it's nice to see you here,
on the legal side of things.

I don't disagree with you that the signs are, most likely,
misused as speed limitors, instead of as STOP signs.

But, such misuse is precisely why the MUTCD says not to misuse
STOP signs.

Nobody who knows anything about the purpose of STOP signs
would treat them with anything other than sheer disdain.

I, myself, blow through them all the time, as I treat them
with disdain, which is the only way they should be treated
(IMHO).

Nonetheless, your analysis is probably correct if the post
office was moved in the 1990s, since the traffic engineer
in Campbell told me that no traffic study was ever performed.

Given that all reasonable people would agree that:
1. The signs are not being used as STOP signs
2. The signs were not placed by the "normal" process

The question is what do I do to get them removed?

Is there an existing process, where such things are reviewed
by someone 'other' than the town of Campbell itself?