Old March 6th 14, 09:25 PM posted to misc.legal,ca.driving,rec.autos.driving,ba.transportation
Liam O'Connor

Default What is the process to have an illegal STOP sign removed?

On Thu, 6 Mar 2014 16:22:53 -0500, David L. Martel wrote:

> Request the engineering study that was done for this intersection.
> A copy shouldn't be very expensive.
> That would be a good starting point.

Hi David,

There was no engineering study.

The traffic engineer called me back and told me that
the people who put up the signs did NOT follow "normal"
procedures.

He said the "normal" procedure is to follow the California
Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, which, he said,
generally comes out three years after the Federal MUTCD.

He says there are differences, such as the school
crosswalk color in California is yellow, but that I needed
to obtain the manual to find out for myself whether the signs
meet the California standards.
http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/engineering/

In addition, he told me that the process followed for "those"
signs (there's a similar set at King's Court, very near to
Queen's Court) was that there was a "warrant" but no "analysis".

He said a "neighborhood survey" was used instead, and that the
"City Council" authorized the city to install those signs.

He informally agreed with me that it would be "very difficult"
for those signs to meet today's standards, but, he said, there
is no process for removal of those signs, as, he said, they
do not revisit the justifications for those signs after the
fact.

So, he said, they're up permanently, even though they likely
(by our informal assessment) don't even come close to meeting
today's standards.

I'm not sure what the next step is ... and I could use your
advice!