Old November 11th 06, 06:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Default Automatic vs. manual transmission in a used Honda Civic

Jacqueline Passey wrote:
> I am trying to find a good used Honda Civic hatchback with a manual
> transmission in the Seattle area and so far haven't been having any
> luck. I have found a few with automatic transmissions. The reason I
> was looking for a manual is that it's a cheaper repair if/when it
> breaks than an automatic (this is a car that I want to be able to drive
> for a long long time) but since it may not be possible to find one I
> was thinking maybe I should compromise and go for the automatic
> instead.
>
> Can anyone tell me more about how likely the automatic transmission is
> to break down, at what approximate mileage range, and how much that
> repair costs when it happens? Vs. breakdowns and repairs with the
> manual transmission?
>
> Thanks!

1. civic autos are good for 300k or more if maintained ok and not taken
to a rip-off mechanic who'll use the wrong transmission fluid, then tell
you jerky shifting [as is what happens with the wrong fluid] is a sign
that the transmission is "about to go" and that you should give them $3k
to fix the problem "before it gets worse".

2. automatics are a lot more re-saleable.

3. it's cheaper to buy a jdm import transmission than it is to repair
any existing one. but again, unless you're looking at a vehicle with
very high mileage and intend to be high mileage yourself, civic autos
are very reliable so i wouldn't worry about it.