Old November 11th 06, 04:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

Default Automatic vs. manual transmission in a used Honda Civic

"Jacqueline Passey" > wrote in
oups.com:

> I am trying to find a good used Honda Civic hatchback with a manual
> transmission in the Seattle area and so far haven't been having any
> luck. I have found a few with automatic transmissions. The reason I
> was looking for a manual is that it's a cheaper repair if/when it
> breaks than an automatic

Uh, not really. Go price tranny rebuilds for both. Don't forget to
include clutch replacement for the manual version.

NO-body will give you a hard-and-fast number for rebuilding a manual
transmission. EVERY-body will give you a quote on your slushbox.

> (this is a car that I want to be able to drive
> for a long long time) but since it may not be possible to find one I
> was thinking maybe I should compromise and go for the automatic
> instead.
>
> Can anyone tell me more about how likely the automatic transmission is
> to break down, at what approximate mileage range, and how much that
> repair costs when it happens? Vs. breakdowns and repairs with the
> manual transmission?

Your questions are quite unanswerable as arguments in themselves.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/