Old October 20th 05, 03:38 AM
Steve W.

Default BB 366 - rockers clatter; oil pressure but no oil at rockers

" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I'm going home now to install the new lifters, clean the passages, and
> make sure the tubes are open. My brother, who is helping me, was

going
> to get out of work early and pull the head again (intake already off

so
> we're half way there) and make SURE that the piston is not hitting the
> valve due to the lumpiness on the surface. I've ordered a new piston
> and rings just in case it is.
>
> I will also make sure to install the rotor 180 degrees oposite to the
> way it was. Will let you all know how it comes out. Thanks for all
> the advice.

If the vehicle runs fine but your not getting oil
LEAVE THE DAMN DISTRIBUTOR ALONE. IT CANNOT NO WAY NO HOW BLOCK THE OIL
FLOW UNLESS YOU STUFF THE OIL PASSAGES FULL OF CRUD.
The oil channel goes all the way around the dizzy, notice that? Guess
where the oil also goes? That's right it will go around the distributor,
regardless of the position of the housing. Doesn't make a bit of
difference. NEVER.

I would bet that when you started running the engine some old crud broke
free and plugged the oil passage feeding the lifter gallery. Pull it
apart and clean it out or you WILL trash the cam, lifters, rockers, push
rods. Oil pressure at the port means that oil is getting there BUT it is
probably bypassing back into the pan because the passage is blocked.

DON'T install the new lifters on that used cam that has been running
without oil. It will eat them REAL fast.