Old April 12th 11, 04:27 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Default Automatic vs. Manual transmission

In article >, SBH > wrote:
>It's been well known a manual transmission obtains better fuel mileage than
>an automatic. My sister is preparing to purchase a Ford Fiesta and wants a
>manual, mainly for the fuel savings. The sales guy indicated the new
>transmissions (more so the 6 speed auto in the Fiesta) are better and more
>fuel efficient than manuals. Anyone know if this is true?

It depends entirely on who is driving. Some of the computer controlled
automatic systems are very, very good and probably better than the average
driver.

However, when those systems break, nobody really knows how to repair them,
whereas rebuilding a manual (even a transaxle) is something you can do in
the backyard.
--scott