Old February 20th 07, 03:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

Default what's the condenser for on a mechanical voltage regulator?

Don wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 15:25:02 -0500, Bob Flumere >
> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 12:43:05 -0600, > wrote:
>>
>>> "Mike Romain" > wrote in message
>>> g.com...
>>> You're right, Mike. The condensor is there to stop RFI but it does it by
>>> stopping the sparking, which is an interrupted DC. Just like the condensor
>>> used to do on points, it provides a low impedance path for high frequency
>>> AC or interrupted DC.
>>>
>>> While an electromechanical regulator might not be a critical to spark damage
>>> as ignition points were, the principle is similar.
>>>

>> To the OP.. you do NOT need this cap.....
>> It is NOT a functional part of the charging system in any way...
>> It is only a high frequency bypass to ground for radio noise
>> suppression.
>>
>> Its purpose and connection into the circuit in this application does
>> not affect nor control the arcing at the voltage control contacts...
>>
>> Having this cap in the circuit (or not) will not damage the regulator
>> or affect the charging system in any way.
>>
>> The capacitor on the GM Delco voltage regulator is ONLY for RFI
>> suppression.. it is not in the "Field" circuit where the altenator
>> field (rotor) contacts are located.

<snip unrelated rambling>

>> Again, I repeat, this capacitor on the Delco Altenator regulator base
>> is NOT involved in the charging circuit in any way, and only exists to
>> suppress the RFI generated by the arcing at the vr contacts...
>> If you look at the back of the regulator base, you will see that the
>> capacitor terminal is merely an extension of the "B" or Battery
>> terminal lug. The capacitor from there to ground suppresses any
>> HF RFI that might be generated from reaching the rest of the car's
>> electrical system and thence being heard as a "popping" type of
>> static on an AM radio..
>>
>> Feel free to ask for more technical explanation an any time.
>> School is out fo now .. there will be a quiz later <G>
>>

>> Bob F.

> You are correct. You beat me to it. Seems like there are a lot of
> people out there equating this condensor to condensor as in "points
> and condensor." WRONG!!
>
> Don
> www.donsautomotive.com

Ok, so now you have me curious.

Just how does this condenser affect RF if it doesn't mellow out (buffer)
the arc from the points?

If the points arced closed and stuck from a bad alternator, not having
the condenser on the power feed might have allowed this to happen 'much'
faster than if the buffer action from it was in there, or I am not
remembering right.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's