Old February 19th 07, 09:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default what's the condenser for on a mechanical voltage regulator?

"Bob Flumere" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 12:43:05 -0600, > wrote:
>

> >"Mike Romain" > wrote in message
> ng.com...
> >> The points 'do' arc out and burn in those regulators or you wouldn't
> >> need new ones.... I was always under the impression you needed the
> >> condenser to slow this down.

> >You're right, Mike. The condensor is there to stop RFI but it does it by
> >stopping the sparking, which is an interrupted DC. Just like the

condensor
> >used to do on points, it provides a low impedance path for high frequency
> >AC or interrupted DC.
> >
> >While an electromechanical regulator might not be a critical to spark

damage
> >as ignition points were, the principle is similar.
> >

> To the OP.. you do NOT need this cap.....

I think we all agree that the capacitor is not functionally required for
this circuit
to function and the car to run.

It serves a purpose (else it would never have been put there) but the
purpose is
not a make or break situation (Well, I guess in one sense of the phrase, it
is
exactly there for 'make and break' situations;>)