Old January 6th 07, 07:20 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Charlie Andrews

Default 156 Climate control - Disaster Strikes!!

<SNIP>

> Unfortunately I didn't have to dig any deeper than those direction flaps, so
> I'm afraid I'm not sure where the other mixer flaps are. They can't be too
> far away - I changed the pollen filter recently (remove windscreen wipers
> and then take off the plastic cover - it's under there) and I could see the
> blower fan/motor down below underneath the pollen filter. Presumeably there
> is the heater matrix and this air control flap under the passengers side of
> the dash (on RHS version) - maybe it can be reached from the footwell??
> Anyone else know???
>
> I've also noticed that when re-connecting the battery, there is the sound of
> moving motors and flaps from within the dashboard, as though they are
> initialising/resetting themeslves...maybe worth a try
> disconnecting/reconnecting the battery (maybe leave it 10 mins before
> reconnecting to ensure everything fully discharged?)
>
> Regarding the lowering temp shown on the gauge, again I just had this (I
> think the hot summer weather caused the thermostat to stick open) and
> changed the thermostat - now the temp sit just under halfway. But, when
> faulty, this didn't cause the blower just to blow hot all the time, so don't
> 'think' this is related.
>
> Can anyone else here confirm if this air control flap is accessable without
> having to remove the dash????
> Also, where are the locations of the temperature sensor(s) - are there any
> more than the one I can see just under the control buttons?? Could it be a
> duff sensor/bad connection??
>
> Hopefully we can save you spending £670!! Or you'll just have to keep the
> windows open

OK- I've had a look at the battery, and I am a novice, and it looks a
bit daunting to me. There are quite a lot of things attached to it! Is
it OK to take them all off and then put them on again? Of course, I
have my radio code to hand...

I visited the dealer in Stockport today to buy some windscreen wipers,
and while there met a chap who mentioned that he had heard of an
independent Alfa garage in the area- he said they were called Barber's,
and were in Romiley. However, I am having great difficulty tracking
them down! Any other clues to this?

Happy weekend!
Charlie