Old January 4th 07, 12:01 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Charlie Andrews

Default 156 Climate control - Disaster Strikes!!

Humpty Dumpty wrote:
> Are you sure the mixer flaps are not just sticking - that's a common fault
> and happened to me.
> There are 2 small hex or torq screws holding the center air control in
> place, a little difficult to get at and see as it's so close to the
> windscreen. Remove them, and lift up the plastic bit, but do it slowly as
> you will have to reach under to unclip the alarm LED.
> Then you can reach down and feel the flaps (ohh err!!) and give them a
> wiggle as you change the heater direction control...just see if there's
> anything trying to move and just stuck.
> If you are lucky, then all it needs is a little silicone spray to get things
> moving again.
>

> "Charlie Andrews" > wrote in message
>> Charlie Andrews wrote:
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> How are we all? Good!
>>>
>>> Can anyone shed any light on this for me?
>>>
>>> The other day, my 156 started blowing hot air very enthusiastically at me
>>> while driving, with the air controls set as follows:
>>> Temp:20
>>> Air qty: Auto
>>> Other knob: Demist/feet.
>>>
>>> Since then, it will only give me a hot air- as if the sensors feel that
>>> the temperature in the cabin is very cold, even when the temp selector is
>>> turned all the way to the left.
>>>
>>> I have tried the procedure for putting the cc in 'manual' mode and back
>>> from the handbook, to no avail. The only thing that I can govern is the
>>> amount of hot air (using the middle knob) that I get.
>>>
>>> Other info that may be useful:
>>> Alfa 156, 2000, 1,8TS.
>>> Also, the water temperature gauge has been gradually showing a
>>> progressively lower temp (now stabilises around 1/4 of the gauge) for the
>>> last few months. May be associated with the same problem, possibly not?
>>>
>>> I am in Wilmslow, Cheshire, the local dealer, Mangoletsi, is a bit of a
>>> trek, but they seem OK. Could anyone give me a clue as to what might be
>>> going on, perhaps it's something I can fix myself, how much it's likely
>>> to cost?
>>>
>>> By the way, is there another option for Alfa repairs near here?
>>>
>>> All advice greatly received!
>>>
>>> Charlie

>> Right!
>>
>> The car has been to Mangoletsi, who tell me that the mixer motors
>> (controlling the heating flaps, and regulating the hot/cold air mix) need
>> replacing. Having had another look at the behaviour of the system, it
>> seems quite reasonable that this is the problem. As they are stuck
>> awkwardly behind the dash, they quote £670 all-in... that's a hell of a
>> lot of money to spend on a 2000 156.
>>
>> Any other ideas? In particular, is there anyone else in Cheshire / Gtr
>> Manchester who might be able to quote for the work?
>>
>> Oh, dear...
>>
>> Bye!
>> Charlie

OK- I followed your advice Humpty. I've found the ventilation direction
control flap, and that's working fine. The problem is the hot/cold air
mixer flap; is that accessible from this area? I certainly don't see it
down there...

All further advice greatly appreciated.

Ta!
Charlie