Old January 2nd 07, 01:25 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Charlie Andrews

Default 156 Climate control - Disaster Strikes!!

Charlie Andrews wrote:
> Hello!
>
> How are we all? Good!
>
> Can anyone shed any light on this for me?
>
> The other day, my 156 started blowing hot air very enthusiastically at
> me while driving, with the air controls set as follows:
> Temp:20
> Air qty: Auto
> Other knob: Demist/feet.
>
> Since then, it will only give me a hot air- as if the sensors feel that
> the temperature in the cabin is very cold, even when the temp selector
> is turned all the way to the left.
>
> I have tried the procedure for putting the cc in 'manual' mode and back
> from the handbook, to no avail. The only thing that I can govern is the
> amount of hot air (using the middle knob) that I get.
>
> Other info that may be useful:
> Alfa 156, 2000, 1,8TS.
> Also, the water temperature gauge has been gradually showing a
> progressively lower temp (now stabilises around 1/4 of the gauge) for
> the last few months. May be associated with the same problem, possibly
> not?
>
> I am in Wilmslow, Cheshire, the local dealer, Mangoletsi, is a bit of a
> trek, but they seem OK. Could anyone give me a clue as to what might be
> going on, perhaps it's something I can fix myself, how much it's likely
> to cost?
>
> By the way, is there another option for Alfa repairs near here?
>
> All advice greatly received!
>
> Charlie

Right!

The car has been to Mangoletsi, who tell me that the mixer motors
(controlling the heating flaps, and regulating the hot/cold air mix)
need replacing. Having had another look at the behaviour of the system,
it seems quite reasonable that this is the problem. As they are stuck
awkwardly behind the dash, they quote £670 all-in... that's a hell of a
lot of money to spend on a 2000 156.

Any other ideas? In particular, is there anyone else in Cheshire / Gtr
Manchester who might be able to quote for the work?

Oh, dear...

Bye!
Charlie