Old December 21st 04, 11:50 PM
Gareth Edwards

"Hal" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> > Adjusted valves, still same problem. Pulled the plug wire and the

> engine
> > note is the same. Also shorted the plug wire to ground to check for

> spark,
> > so I'm thinking it must be something to do with the carb (or at least

> one
> > side of it).

> Gareth,
>
> If the engine speed did not change at all when you pulled the plug wire
> then I would suggest pulling that spark plug and inspecting it. You
> should see a very pronounced change in the idle quality if you pull a
> plug wire. No change at all means you just found a dead cylinder.
>
> You say you verified the valves are set correctly, the next thing I
> would check is the plug wire and the spark plug itself. If the plug is
> saturated with gasoline and/or black it could still be a
> float/carburetor issue, and you would need to clean or replace the plug
> to restore the functionality of the ignition in that cylinder. It also
> may be as simple as a bad plug wire, I've seen bad wires act up at idle
> but once the engine speed is increased they clear up and the misfire
> goes away temporarily.
>
> Chris

Spark plugs are new. Thought it may be a problem with the plug so I
replaced them all as it was due a service anyway. I have not renewed the
plug leads for a while though, so it may be possible that one of these is
bad. I will check this as soon as I can.

How do you do a compression/leakdown test Dave?